SHOPPERS Helps Your Kids Beat the Lunchtime Lag
With school officially back in session, SHOPPERS’ registered dietitian Jennifer Shea has put together tips for parents to help liven up the classic brown bag lunch. These twists to the classic PB&J are both crave-able and creative, but, as an added bonus, are actually good for kids too!
- Almond Butter & Banana: Spread almond or peanut butter on a whole wheat pita pocket and add sliced bananas. For extra sweetness, drizzle a bit of honey within the pocket.
- Strawberries & Cream Cheese: Spread whole grain bread with light cream cheese, and add a touch of sweetness with sliced strawberries.
- Quesadilla: The night before, throw leftover grilled chicken from dinner into a whole wheat tortilla and warm in a pan on the stove. Let cool, wrap and put in the fridge. In the morning, pack with a veggie
- Portable Pizza: Take a whole wheat tortilla and cover with pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese. Add your kids’ favorite veggies for extra nutrition, then place in the microwave for less than a minute.
Roll the warm tortilla up and slice on an angle, for mini pizzas!
- Kabob-It: Cut up cheddar cheese into bite size pieces and put on Popsicle stick, layer with rolled turkey and/or sliced apples for a
colorful lunch addition.