Nearly 88 percent of Americans surveyed by the National Turkey Federation will be eating turkey at Thanksgiving. But who will be eating out? And what pie will everyone be eating? And how can we all do it without majorly compromising our health? Read on to find out.
1) Thanksgiving: It’s for Slackers Too. About 14 million Americans will go to a restaurant for their Thanksgiving meal this year, according to a National Restaurant Association survey. Overall, 55 percent of Americans plan to eat at their own home on Thanksgiving, according to the survey.
2) Black Friday in the Black of Night In 2010, 24 percent of Black Friday shoppers hit stores before 4 a.m., according to the National Retail Federation. This year, more shoppers are expected to stay up late, with retailers such as Macy’s and Target announcing they’d open this year at midnight.
3) Tame Your Turkey Craving: A Guide on How Much to Eat: The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center released a graphic on how much food to eat on Thanksgiving. You might be surprised. The amount of turkey? No bigger than one deck of cards. Gravy? The size of a golf ball. Yes, this is for real.
4) The No. 1 Thanksgiving Pie is…… Pumpkin! That’s according to the American Pie Council, which says that the pie was first introduced to the holiday table at the pilgrim’s Thanksgiving in 1623.
5) One more random pie fact: If you love apple pie, your “pie personality” is independent, realistic and compassionate, according to the council. Pumpkin pie lovers are funny and independent.