Man Who Took Responsibility for Dead Animals in Wife's Trial Files Insanity Plea

The man who said he cared for the animals that were left to die in a Columbia townhouse filed a plea of insanity in the case.


The man accused of leaving more than 20 animals to die in a Columbia townhouse, who took responsibility for their deaths in his wife's trial, filed a plea of insanity in circuit court earlier this month.

Brady Decker, 39, of the 9400 block of Hundred Drums Row in Columbia, was scheduled to begin a criminal jury trial on Feb. 13 for his role in the animals' deaths, but that trial was pushed back after the insanity plea was filed and Decker's lawyer asked for more time, according to documents filed in Howard County Circuit Court. The trial is now scheduled to begin April 23.

The court has ordered that Decker be examined by a doctor from the Department of Mental Health and Hygiene.

Decker was charged with 72 counts of animal cruelty and 21 counts of mutilation after police found 40 animals dead inside a Columbia townhouse on Lambeth Court leased by Decker and his wife Elizabeth Lindenau in January of 2012.

Police orignally pursued Lindenau as the primary suspect in the case, because at the time she was running a small bird rescue organization. But Lindenau was found not guilty in the animals' deaths in a trial in the fall of 2012.

At the trial, Lindenau maintained she had moved out of the townhouse in April of 2011 and had only returned once, in August of 2011. Between April 2011 and January of 2012, Decker testified he was taking care of the animals.

Neither Decker nor Lindenau lived in the townhouse after Nov. 2011, and the only time Decker would stop by was to feed the animals, according to testimony. Lindenau testified the couple was using the townhouse to store the animals until they had finished moving into her parents' house on Hundred Drums Row.

During that time, she testified she was also storing more than 30 birds in a friends' basement that she had acquired through the Bailey Foundation, which she described as a bird rescue organizations she ran.

Decker testified that he stopped taking care of the animals one day in mid-December 2011 after one of his beloved cockatoos died. By then the power and water had been cut off at the house, as the couple struggled with bills, according to Decker's testimony. He testified that he never returned to the townhouse after that day.

"At the point that I found [the cockatoo dead] I completely lost it," testified Decker during his wife's trial.

When police entered the home in January 2012, they found four live animals in poor condition and 40 dead animals, 19 dead in the freezer and 21 dead in cages and other areas around the home.

Lindenau testified that the night police found the animals Decker told her over the phone that the animals had died. She said he told her he was going to drive his car off a bridge or into something and Lindenau drove around Columbia for 45 minutes until she found him.

After that, she testified that she took him to the hospital and committed him to the behavioral/ psychiatric unit where he stayed for seven days.

Decker is being represented by the same lawyer who represented his wife, Jonathan Scott Smith.

Related Articles

  • Husband: 'I Had Responsibility for Those Animals'
  • Animal Cruelty Charges Dropped Against Columbia Woman
  • Lindenau Says She Didn't Know Animals Died
  • Columbia Woman Not Guilty in Case of 40 Dead Animals
  • Husband Arraigned in Animal Cruelty Case

Sign up for the Columbia Patch newsletter here and follow us on Facebook and Twitter for instant news updates and community conversations.

Jessica February 19, 2013 at 01:00 PM
Dear Lord. I hope the judge locks him in a hot jail cell for weeks without food or water. See how it feels Mr. Decker. You big loser.
Colliemom February 19, 2013 at 05:15 PM
I might not be recalling all the details, but I thought a part article said this guy worked at NSA? I might be mistaken about that; it's pretty hard to believe that with the screening they do there, that someone who was that mentally ill was working for them. I figured this would be the scam; he says it's all his fault so wife walks on the charges, then he gets off with counseling because he's "mentally ill". I think you'd have to be crazy/unstable to treat any living thing the way he did multiple animals, but that doesn't mean he isn't responsible for their pain and suffering. If he was functioning (feeding himself), then he had enough control to know the animals needed food, too. He should still be held responsible (as his wife should have been) and please, please - make a ruling that neither he nor his wife can have pets/animals in thier homes or under their "care and control" ever again.
Homer, Otto & Olivia February 19, 2013 at 08:44 PM
The lawyer will see that he gets off - I find it really pathetic that people have to swear in court to tell the truth - but lawyers get to use any means they feel is fit to bend the truth and confuse a jury. That is exactly what happened in the first trial. No doubt he will do it again. It makes me sick to think that animals suffered - and we are wasting so much time and money to put the blame somewhere else. THEY BOTH ARE GUILTY!!!


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »